Day In a Page
Tuesday, 9 October 2012
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Serge Haroche and David Wineland awarded Nobel Prize in Physics
- SpaceX Dragon capsule: Cargo ship reaches International Space Station
- Two American scientists win Nobel chemistry prize for understanding how the billions of cells within the human body communicate with the outside world
- Private rocket blasts off for ISS
- Eric Lomax: War hero whose experiences in the Far East became a bestselling memoir
- Jean Taittinger: Champagne scion who transformed Reims
- Barbara Ann Scott: Skater who inspired Canada
- Crispin Aubrey: Journalist convicted under the Official Secrets Act in the 'ABC Trial'
- Ken MacManus: The last of the bareback riders
- Lois Smith: Publicist who worked with Monroe and Streep
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- The moment Ken Clarke leaves office, his encouraging legacy goes out the window
- Rod Stewart's book is the gift that keeps on giving
- Why I'm committed to preserving the write stuff
- Diary: Why the Tories won't be calling the cops and what David Cameron shares with Paul Ryan
- His conference speech was statesmanlike, resolute and human. But David Cameron is beset by perils
- I’ve got the builders in. And they’re cooking better than Nigella
- I represented Abu Hamza in his extradition proceedings. Why is he being tried in America?
- UN Day of the Girl: What will it take to invest in a female future?
- Forget all those 'polite' landscape paintings and let the great Kurt Jackson show you how to do it
- Waste not, want not: The Western culture of binning food
- Sarah Brightman, alien life-forms and why, in space, no one should have to hear you scream
- Zac Goldsmith, conservation and the latest from Tory opponents of gay marriage in Birmingham
- Barack Obama, Mitt Romney, and why the need to be liked can still determine a presidential election
- Only by coming together can students and trade unions fight the Coalition's failing austerity
- Wonga is no legal loan shark - and Newcastle is in the right to accept their cash
- Today's wacky web stories: Elevator anxiety, the Sarah Palin diet and John Lennon's letters
- Jewish Mum of the Year: Yet another TV programme which supports stereotypes
- Theresa May's crime and punishment: you decide
- Jimmy Savile's charities should close down and give their money to others
- David Cameron's speech to Tory Party conference was boring, well delivered and basically irrelevant
- Boris Johnson: I'm in favour of gay marriage and I can't see what all the fuss is about
- World Mental Health Day: I battled depression for six years, I didn't just 'get over it' overnight
- Justin Lee Collins and the complex nature of partner abuse
- Why are they trending? David Cameron, Mark Bridger, Gwen Stefani
- As Jimmy Savile's gravestone is removed at the request of his family, we should question whether we live in a civilised society
- What the removal of a headstone for Sir Jimmy Savile says about our justice system and his family
- Biden-Ryan could be more than a sideshow
- Sketch: He praised PMs past and present, but it was all about Boris's future
- Peaches Geldof joins the Independent Voices campaign to legalise same-sex marriage in Britain
- Diary: Mensch the pantomime villain and Aidan Burley at a Nazi-themed stag party
- A question for Chris Grayling. As a 5ft4in woman, what legal options for self-defence do I have against a 6ft burglar? Honestly, I'd love to know
- In the age of Facebook, insulting April Jones comes with a heavy price - as Matthew Woods is finding out
- It's not just the Tories gathered in Birmingham who know Boris Johnson is unstoppable now
- Schools should think twice before banning parents from the sports-field
- Why do the likes of Jimmy Savile, Fred Goodwin and Rupert Murdoch get away with it for so long?
- Children know what real words are; teachers mustn’t mislead them
- Politics means nothing when deficits have to be cut
- Azhar Ahmed, a tasteless Facebook update, and more evidence of Britain's terrifying new censorship
- Victory in the great schools battle
- A Jewish perspective on same-sex marriage
- Of Gollywogs (honestly), absent chief whips, and how not to cut £10bn from the welfare budget
- I'm straight and about to get married - how much sweeter a deal if opportunities were equal
- Disaster tourism: how bus trips to the scene of Hurricane Katrina make profit from loss
- How many more, George? Ruth Anim and Liam Barker - different disabilities, very similar situations
- Fortnum & Mason’s shame exposed: Selling foie gras is indefensible
- Why are they trending? IMF, #HappyBirthdayJohnLennon, #cpc12, George Osborne
- Today's wacky web stories: Virtual genocide, Jay-Z rides the subway and the real Halloween horror!
- 'Slut dropping' and 'Pimps and Hoes' - the sexual politics of freshers' week
- YouTube's hall of homophobia shame
- Olivia Wilde on divorce: "I felt like my vagina died"
- VIDEO: Is TV advertising sexist?
- Cab driver finds $220,000 dollars, subverts expectations
- Don't knock Paul Ryan's Medicare plan
- Is the term "bullying" overused?
- Romney's hollow foreign policy
- What did his text mean? We can help!
- Man dies after bug-eating contest
- Teenager downs nitrogen drink, nearly dies
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- South Africa players 'awaiting an apology' from ECB chief of text claims
- Zimbabwe national team selector and former bowler Kevin Curran dies
- ICC suspends six umpires amid corruption investigation
- David Collier's Kevin Pietersen claims 'absolute rubbish,' says Proteas chief
- Brave Miller saves Yorkshire
- Golf chief apologises after headbutting journalist before Tiger Woods match at the Turkish Open
- McIlroy and Woods both lose to deepen Turkish despair at first-tee fracas
- Why is the Rory McIlroy and Tiger Woods show in Turkey?
- Rory McIlroy must beat Tiger Woods to reach last four in Turkey
- Grace misses out on hat-trick
- Andy Murray advances in Shanghai after Florian Mayer withdraws with injury
- Tomic troubles show why this is now no game for young men
- Rafael Nadal admits return from injury this year unlikely
- Murray-Djokovic practice pulls in the crowds
- Laura Robson through to second round in Osaka
- Novak Djokovic a threat to Roger Federer hitting 300 weeks as world number one
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Travellers warned they may face typhoid risk as vaccine is recalled
- The 10 Best hi-vis gear
- School's out for the sunshine
- Get me out of here: Chicago, Iceland, Cervinia
- Deals of the week: Prague, Scotland, Caribbean
- Forget Disneyland Paris. Now it's Paramount World … Swanscombe
- London hit by record 20 per cent slump in visits
Money RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Katie Hopkins speaks out on childhood obesity: 'Parents of fat children should be prosecuted for child cruelty'
- 1 The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
- 2 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 3 Andy Murray takes to Twitter to show off his Christmas jumper
- 4 Katie Hopkins speaks out on childhood obesity: 'Parents of fat children should be prosecuted for child cruelty'
- 5 Top 10 travel destinations for 2015: From Haiti and Alaska to Namibia and Iceland