Mark Hix on Game
A wonderful selection of salads, starters and mains featuring venison, grouse and other game.
Friday 27 June 2014
Mark Hix has been a food columnist for The Independent since 2002. In that time, he has weathered the complete transformation of the British food scene, keeping his fans happy with his straightforward cooking. From hearty winter broths to spring salads, fresh ingredients, simply prepared, lie at the heart of all his recipes. He has written seven cookbooks and stands at the helm of six restaurants. He was previously executive chef at Caprice Holdings, overseeing restaurants including Le Caprice, Scott’s and The Ivy.
In this collection of 26 recipes, Hix tackles game, the seasons for which differ by animals. The Glorious 12th – August 12th – marks the day from which the hunting of grouse and some other game birds can begin, while deer and duck are available all year around. Roasted, cooked in a stew, or served with tart wild berries, game’s pungent flavour is a delight. One to which there is no better guide than Mark Hix.
£2.99 / $4.99
Click here to explore other Independent eBooks
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
The open loathing between Barack Obama and Benjamin Netanyahu just got worse
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
President Putin is a dangerous psychopath - reason is not going to work with him
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Britain's widening poverty gap should be causing outrage at the start of the election campaign
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Benedict Cumberbatch's Alan Turing gay-rights campaign snubbed by Prince William and Kate Middleton
- 5 Kim Sears responds to swearing controversy with 'parental advisory' T-shirt at Andy Murray's Australian Open final