Mark Hix on Game
A wonderful selection of salads, starters and mains featuring venison, grouse and other game.
Friday 27 June 2014
Mark Hix has been a food columnist for The Independent since 2002. In that time, he has weathered the complete transformation of the British food scene, keeping his fans happy with his straightforward cooking. From hearty winter broths to spring salads, fresh ingredients, simply prepared, lie at the heart of all his recipes. He has written seven cookbooks and stands at the helm of six restaurants. He was previously executive chef at Caprice Holdings, overseeing restaurants including Le Caprice, Scott’s and The Ivy.
In this collection of 26 recipes, Hix tackles game, the seasons for which differ by animals. The Glorious 12th – August 12th – marks the day from which the hunting of grouse and some other game birds can begin, while deer and duck are available all year around. Roasted, cooked in a stew, or served with tart wild berries, game’s pungent flavour is a delight. One to which there is no better guide than Mark Hix.
£2.99 / $4.99
Click here to explore other Independent eBooks
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist