Bolivia: Andes glaciers are melting fast
Wednesday 23 January 2013
Glaciers in the Andes have shrunk by up to 50 per cent since the 1970s, and some could disappear altogether, a study warns.
Researchers from France and Bolivia examined about half of all Andean glaciers and blamed an average temperature rise of 0.7C between 1950 and 1994 for the retreat. The glaciers, a source of water for tens of millions of people, are believed to be melting at their fastest rate for 300 years.
Smaller glaciers below 5,400m have lost around 1.35m in thickness each year since the late 1970s, twice the rate of the bigger, high-altitude glaciers, and could melt completely in the coming decades, according to the study, published in The Cryosphere.
New York snowstorm: What is 'lake-effect' snow and how does it form?
Years of marine research sunk – because seals ate the evidence
Watch amazing footage of London captured by an eagle with head-mounted camera
French authorities in race to dispose of beached whale carcass amid fears it could explode
Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join a successful an...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Digital Sales Account Manager...