Bolivia: Andes glaciers are melting fast
Wednesday 23 January 2013
Glaciers in the Andes have shrunk by up to 50 per cent since the 1970s, and some could disappear altogether, a study warns.
Researchers from France and Bolivia examined about half of all Andean glaciers and blamed an average temperature rise of 0.7C between 1950 and 1994 for the retreat. The glaciers, a source of water for tens of millions of people, are believed to be melting at their fastest rate for 300 years.
Smaller glaciers below 5,400m have lost around 1.35m in thickness each year since the late 1970s, twice the rate of the bigger, high-altitude glaciers, and could melt completely in the coming decades, according to the study, published in The Cryosphere.
- 1 Amy Winehouse statue unveiled in Camden
- 2 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 3 George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
- 4 Headaches, fry ups, and hair of the dog - why do we get hangovers, and is there such thing as a 'cure'?
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained in Los Angeles after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Scottish independence: Britain faces 'constitutional crisis' at next election
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
£50 - £65 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: We are looking for flexible and i...
£50 - £65 per annum: Randstad Education Leeds: We are looking for flexible and...
£130 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS2 Supply Teacher r...
£130 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS1 Teacher required,...