Britain reaches milestone for renewable energy
Saturday 24 April 2010
The UK has reached a milestone of installing 1 gigawatt (GW) of offshore wind farms – enough to power 700,000 homes. It was achieved this week as two new wind farms off the coast began generating electricity.
The UK now has 11 offshore wind farms, with a total of 336 installed turbines, according to the industry body Renewables UK. A further 4GW of offshore wind farms are being constructed or have planning consent and a total of 40GW are at various stages of development.
Maria McCaffery, chief executive of the organisation, said hitting the 1GW mark in 10 years was a "tremendous step forward". "The UK offshore wind industry has come of age. In the last 10 years we have built a brand new world-leading industry sector that will create long-term value for this country."
She said that in the first quarter of this year, £500m of private investment had been poured into offshore wind in the UK.
"The opportunity now for this country is to build on this position of global leadership to develop the industrial and service supply chain to provide the equipment and skills that will embed Britain's competitive advantage in marine renewables," Ms McCaffery said.
Greenland’s dark snow may start global warming ‘feedback loop’
The top 10 weirdest animal mating rituals
Campaigners lobby Duchess of Cornwall to persuade her son-in-law to cease Knebworth solar farm
Sydney tries to evict troublesome fruit bats with aural onslaught
Climate change means rate of growth of trees has gone up by 77%
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Matthew Miller: American sentenced to hard labour in North Korea 'wanted to be Snowden II'
- 5 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
£130 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS1 Teacher required,...
£140 - £160 per annum: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS1&2 Supply Te...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Excellent: Austen Lloyd: Corporate Commercial Soli...
£110 - £155 per annum: Randstad Education Leeds: An excellent, last minute opp...