Exploitation of Arctic resources under scrutiny
Sunday 08 January 2012
An MPs' inquiry into protecting the Arctic from exploitation through oil and gas drilling has been launched.
The Environmental Audit Committee will look at how climate change might open the region to new commercial activities, and what Britain can do to protect the fragile wilderness.
Potential exploitation of the region will be controversial, with environmentalists warning about the damage to the area and climate if activities such as drilling for new fossil fuel supplies go ahead.
Saviour of the Isle of Arran's lobster population wins £117,000 'environmental Oscar'
Have you heard 'the hum'? Mystery of Earth's low droning noise could now be solved
Animal Extinction - the greatest threat to mankind
Invasion! Beware the killer hornet
Energy companies' fuel reserves contain five times the amount of carbon dioxide that can be safely burned, report says
- 1 Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin file for divorce after 10 years of marriage
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bookies now say Ed Miliband is more likely to be prime minister than David Cameron
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Katie Hopkins on LBC: Listen to caller taking The Sun columnist to task over migrant comments
£18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company are looking for a highly or...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + competitive: SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consultan...
£22000 - £25900 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Company is expanding and th...
£27000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Corporate Account Manager is ...