World's biggest offshore wind farm planned
Saturday 01 September 2012
Plans for the world's largest offshore wind farm have been submitted to the Scottish Government. The £4.5bn scheme, which could be built by 2020, would see 339 turbines stationed in the Moray Firth, 13 miles off Caithness.
The 670ft structures have already attracted opposition from campaigners such as Donald Trump who has claimed a wind farm will damage his new luxury golf development in Aberdeenshire.
Supporters say they will create hundreds of jobs and help the Scottish Government achieve its aim of generating 100 per cent of its energy from renewable sources by 2020. The scheme by Moray Offshore Renewables Ltd would cover 114sq miles of sea and produce up to 1,500MW of power, capable of supplying up to one million homes. It would take five years to build, starting in 2015. Developers said the energy would be sent to a power station at Peterhead after being collected at eight offshore electrical platforms.
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
- 1 Dear Sir Jimmy Savile: A comedian's words of valediction to the nation's trusted uncle
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior QA Engineer Tes...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: C# .NET Developer (P...
£44000 - £55000 per annum + Excellent Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Confide...