Famous starlings evicted
Saturday 25 February 2012
Trees and shrubs where about 1,000 starlings roost, attracting international attention with their swooping displays at sunset, have been cut back because of health and safety fears.
North Devon Council was denounced as "ludicrous" by residents after cutting back the foliage in Barnstaple last week.
The council said the droppings could cause salmonella and toxoplasmosis. Mike Jones, principal parks officer, said: "As well as the health risks, we had received complaints from businesses and residents about the mess."
As Iraq runs dry, a plague of snakes is unleashed
World's 100 most destructive species named
The top 10 weirdest animal mating rituals
Cornwall hotter than California? British sea temperatures hit all-time high
Plan to reintroduce genetically pure bison could put the wild back into America's Wild West
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £40000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: .Mid Level V...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Competitive Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: Dig...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Car, Medical, Fuel + More!: Progressive Recruitmen...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits: Progressive Recruitment: An absolutely o...