Famous starlings evicted
Saturday 25 February 2012
Trees and shrubs where about 1,000 starlings roost, attracting international attention with their swooping displays at sunset, have been cut back because of health and safety fears.
North Devon Council was denounced as "ludicrous" by residents after cutting back the foliage in Barnstaple last week.
The council said the droppings could cause salmonella and toxoplasmosis. Mike Jones, principal parks officer, said: "As well as the health risks, we had received complaints from businesses and residents about the mess."
'Mini ice age' coming in next fifteen years, new model of the sun's cycle shows
Critically endangered species
African wildcat caught on camera riding on the back of rhino in rare footage
Pesticide experts silenced by UK Government as it looks to bring back bee-killing neonicotinoids
The ugliest animals on earth: Blobfish, axolotl and proboscis monkey battle it out to be named least attractive beast
- 1 Cecil the lion: Dentist Walter Palmer blames local guides in Zimbabwe for the scandal
- 2 Kate Winslet thanked 'particularly horrible' girl who bullied her at school after Titanic success
- 3 Norwich paedophile ring: Woman at centre of gang who made children 'sexual play things' guilty of 23 offences
- 4 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 5 Walter Palmer: Cecil the lion killer revealed to be American dentist
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading manufacturer...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join an innova...
£14500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has arisen for a Sales Ca...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This local charity has an oppor...