Iceland volcano eruption spits plume 10 miles high
Sunday 22 May 2011
A volcano in Iceland spat a plume of white smoke almost 10 miles into the air as it erupted last night.
The Grimsvotn volcano, which sits beneath one of the country's biggest glaciers, also triggered small earthquakes. However, geologists said they did not expect the eruption would lead to a repeat of the disruption to air travel caused by the ash cloud emitted by an Icelandic volcano in May last year.
Grimsvotn last erupted seven years ago.
Woodpecker and weasel: This is what the photographer has to say about the incredible picture
Act now or rising seas will sink our country, Marshall Islanders tell the world
Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past
Animal Extinction - the greatest threat to mankind
Pangolins: What are they, why are they so endangered and what can we do to help?
- 1 Tourist films plane's descent just metres above packed Caribbean beach
- 2 Indian woman creates 'Marriage CV' after parents put her on dating site: 'Definitely not marriage material. Won’t grow long hair, ever'
- 3 World Book Day: Boy 'excluded' from school after dressing up as Fifty Shades' Christian Grey
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 GamerGate: developer Tim Schafer provokes rage with joke about online gaming activists at industry awards
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Elif Shafak: Turkish author warns against rise of British nationalism
Ex-head of MI6: 'We shouldn't kid ourselves that Russia is on a path to democracy'
Most people think legal tax avoidance is just as wrong as illegal tax evasion, poll suggests
£65000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Technical Presales Engineer - central London ...
£20000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Physiotherapist / Sports Ther...
£8 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Sales Executives / Advisors are required...
£14000 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has arisen for a...