Prickly heat: the suffering of the hedgehogs
Tuesday 13 July 2010
prolonged hot weather may be fine for us but it's not much good for wildlife, and it is particularly bad for hedgehogs, while for baby hedgehogs it's even worse.
The heat and drought of the last few weeks have dried out the ground to such an extent that normal hedgehog food items such as slugs and worms have become much harder to find and there is a lack of available water. As a result, adults tend to wander off for great distances on food hunts, and youngsters get left behind.
Tiggywinkles, the wildlife hospital near Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire which is something of a hedgehog specialist, currently has 250 distressed hedgehogs on its books and 50 of them are babies like this one peering through a crowd of adult spines. "A lot of them are orphaned," said the Tiggywinkles founder, Les Stocker. "And they wander off looking for food." Tiggywinkles takes in about 3,000 hedgehogs a year.
- 1 Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta clashes with President Obama on LGBT equality: ‘Gay rights is really a non-issue’
- 2 Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
- 3 Mers outbreak: Manchester Royal Infirmary A&E closes over suspected cases
- 4 Jon Snow alive? New Game of Thrones toy line suggests he's not among the dead
- 5 Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’
The 9 charts that show the 'left-wing' policies of Jeremy Corbyn the public actually agrees with
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
What the Labour party could look like under Jeremy Corbyn
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive is required t...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive: SThree: £20000 - £25000 per annum + c...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a number ...
£15000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you want to work for an exci...