Twitchers flock to spot the birdie see rare dove
Wednesday 16 February 2011
An army of "twitchers" queued to catch a glimpse of a rare oriental turtle dove yesterday.
More than 500 enthusiasts paid £5 each to slip into the home of ornithologist Steve Akers in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, and peer into his garden beyond. The dove, normally found in Russia and Siberia, has been spotted only twice before in the UK. Mr Akers is donating all the proceeds to birth charities.
Greenpeace comes to the aid of Britain's small fishing vessels
Backbench rebellion threat sees fracking regulations toughened
Frilled shark: Australian fishermen capture terrifying shark from the deep
Keep off the grass: Research confirms that highly manicured lawns produce more greenhouse gases than they soak up
The ugliest animals on earth: Blobfish, axolotl and proboscis monkey battle it out to be named least attractive beast
- 1 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 4 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 5 Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: This post arises as a result of the need to...
£120 - £150 per annum: Tradewind Recruitment: I am recruiting on instruction o...
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Executive - Wim...