Voyage to eradicate rats and save birds
Conservationists have embarked on a three-month trip to one of the remotest places on Earth in a bid to eradicate rats from a Polynesian island where they threaten to drive an endangered seabird to the edge of extinction.
The RSPB will be destroying the entire rodent population found on Henderson Island – an uninhabited part of the UK's Pitcairn overseas territory in the South Pacific – in a bid to save the endangered grey-brown Henderson petrel, a bird that is found to nest only on the world heritage site.
As part of the £1.5m project, scientists will drop rat poison from the air. The partnership will also see a ship and two helicopters taking a 17,000-mile voyage around three islands in the Pacific.
- 1 Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 Nineteen-year-old student left gifts for parents before taking her own life
- 4 Deliberately urinating before sex can increase risk of urinary tract infections
- 5 Winston Churchill: From accusations of anti-Semitism to the blunt refusal that led to the deaths of millions
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
David Cameron says anyone criticising Eric Pickles' letter to Muslims 'really has a problem'
£15000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Fantastic opportunities are ava...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Compute Engineer is required to join a globa...
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 25 days holidays & pension: Ashdown Group: PHP Web...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Based in London, Manchester, Br...