Today's letter from the Editor
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Production Technician is required to join a ...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity for a Ne...
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: A very rare high level opportunity with a fir...
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This distributor of electronics...
i Editor's Letter: iMistakes and disused gadgets
OK, so bring on next week's Private Eye. We were already on to a hiding to nothing by featuring a £799 Maytag in our "10 Best Clothes Dryers" yesterday. It had to be exceptional?! Sadly, it isn't quite as special as we said. It will dry wellies, and I presume woolies, but "willies"? A claim too far. For those who saw it, please don't try that at home. But, perhaps we have inspired Maytag R'*'D?
£800 for a clothes dryer? I have enough gadgets cluttering up my home as it is – most of them barely used. The breadmaker is at the top of a list that also includes one of those Breville toaster thingies, a fondue set, used once, and an ice-cream maker, which did make great ice-cream the one time I tried, but life's just too short.
Last weekend, though, I did get one gadget out of the cupboard in which it had hidden for many years. Admittedly, it wasn't my gadget, or even my house, but the pasta-machine mangle had been a source of mystery to me for many years. Inspired by the wonderful Welsh-Italian Chiappa sisters' recent Simply Italian TV series, I dusted it off, bought some "00" flour and eggs, and persuaded my only too eager Ma to spend a wonderful evening passing on "the knowledge" to my daughters and me. Give it a try!
On a sadder note, I also dragged out one of the several hard-drive back-ups I bought when we were burgled (they left the fondue set!), inspired this time by the neighbours being burgled! Thousands of transferred photos later, my daughter asked why I didn't just save them to "the Cloud". Gadgets you can't see cluttering up your house to annoy your other half – where's the fun in that?Follow @stefanohat
- 1 Scarlett Johansson new band 'already hit with legal complaint' from another The Singles
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia