Today's letter from the Editor
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...
The Business Matrix: Friday 24 August 2012
Qantas suffer £161m loss
Australia's struggling flagship carrier Qantas Airways cancelled orders for 35 Boeing Dreamliner jets to further cut costs. Posting a full-year net loss for the first time in 17 years due to its bleeding international division, the airline suffered a A$244m (£161m) loss for the year to the end of June.
Phoenix appoint Sir Howard Davies
Phoenix, the life fund that looks after policies on behalf of six million savers, swapped one City grandee for another today: it appointed Sir Howard Davies as chairman, replacing Ron Sandler, who will step down as of October. The move came as Phoenix posted a rise in half-year profits to £207m.
Anglo American yields to Codelco
Anglo American has agreed to sell a stake in its coveted south-central Chile copper mines to Chilean rival Codelco. They settled for $1.7bn, a discount on their initial $2.8bn market price, ending a bruising 10-month battle between the mining titans.
Diageo toasts 32% profit rise
Diageo shrugged off a slowdown in Europe thanks to surging sales of Guinness, Smirnoff, and Johnnie Walker in emerging markets. Sales in these markets, now nearly 40 per cent of its business, grew 15 per cent over the year. That helped annual profits rise 32 per cent to £3.1bn.
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 3 Singapore sting: Sky-high prices are pushing locals to the edge of affordability
- 4 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
- 5 Dead woman's body found sitting in a car after six years after direct debits ran $54,000 bank account dry