Today's letter from the Editor
The Business Matrix: Monday 7 January 2013
Finance chiefs see clouds lifting
Britain's boardrooms are shrugging off fears of a triple-dip recession, according to leading financial chiefs. The professional services firm Deloitte's latest survey of chief financial officers representing quoted companies worth almost £700bn reveals optimism rising for the second quarter in a row as immediate threats such as a eurozone break-up recede.
Bio-fuel pollutant could kill 1,400
Bio-fuels could add to air pollution and cause almost 1,400 premature deaths a year in Europe by 2020, according to a new study. The report from Lancaster University also said trees grown to produce wood fuel released a chemical into the air that, when mixed with other air pollutants, could reduce farmers' crop yields.
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.