Today's letter from the Editor
£550 - £650 per day: Orgtel: Business Analyst - Traded Credit Risk - Investmen...
£32000 - £35000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based o...
£55000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A financial software vendor at the forefro...
£600 per day: Harrington Starr: .NET Developer C#, WPF,BLL, MSMQ, SQL, GIT, SQ...
The Business Matrix: Saturday 11 May 2013
BA's Walsh warns of Heathrow exit
Willie Walsh, the chief executive of British Airways' owner, International Airlines Group, has warned that BA's future with a London hub is not guaranteed. Heathrow employs 76,600 people and supports 114,000 jobs, but the Government is considering plans for a new £50bn Thames Estuary airport.
Investor takes on Dell's private plan
Activist investor Carl Icahn has teamed with another large shareholder in Dell to put forward an alternative to Michael Dell's plans to take the computer giant private.
Mr Icahn and Southeastern Asset Management said Dell's $13.65 per share offer was not in the best interests of shareholders. a new £50bn Thames Estuary airport.
Dreary UK cheers holiday firms
Britain's dismal weather is cheering at least one industry – the travel sector. Tui Travel, the giant behind Thomson Holidays, said bookings are up as Brits look to escape the gloom. Tui made a loss of £346m in the first half but said it would bounce back into profit this year.
Better trade figures give hope
The UK trade deficit narrowed slightly in March, adding to hopes that the economy could be beginning to strengthen.
Official figures yesterday showed the deficit on the trade in goods was £9.1bn in the month, offset by a £5.9bn surplus in services.
- 1 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 2 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27