Today's letter from the Editor
£37040 - £43600 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The UK's export credit agency a...
£25000 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a compreh...
£16800 - £19500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to join an organ...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In the last five years this com...
The Business Matrix: Saturday 25 May 2013
H&T hurt by fall in gold price
H&T, Britain’s biggest pawnbroker, succumbed to the dramatic collapse in the gold price yesterday with a profit warning that sent its shares plummeting by 11 per cent. The company said the City had not priced in the fall in the precious metal which has dropped from £1,054 an ounce in March to £925.
P&G ask former boss to return to the helm
Incoming Procter & Gamble boss A G Lafley said that a sense of “duty” had persuaded him to return to his former job at the consumer goods giant. Mr Lafley, who had retired, is taking on the roles of chairman, president and chief executive. He will replace Bob McDonald.
Weak recovery could last for three years
Britain will have to wait for the boom times to return despite “some signs of a pick-up” in the economy, the Bank of England rate-setter Paul Fisher declared yesterday. The Bank’s markets director, who has voted for more quantitative easing, said the UK’s weak recovery could last for another three years.
Boeing’s Dreamliner returns to the skies
The airline with the most Boeing Dreamliner jets will be the first to resume commercial flights with it today, four months after the 787 was grounded over safety fears. Japan’s All Nippon Airways will fly passengers on five 787 flights this month before launching scheduled services on the aircraft on 1 June.
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 President Obama leaves touching comment on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 5 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan