Today's letter from the Editor
£28000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Senior Digital Marketing Cons...
£16640 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Assistant Stores Keeper is r...
£16000 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an excellent opportunit...
£17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Developer required to join a bu...
The Business Matrix: Saturday 25 May 2013
H&T hurt by fall in gold price
H&T, Britain’s biggest pawnbroker, succumbed to the dramatic collapse in the gold price yesterday with a profit warning that sent its shares plummeting by 11 per cent. The company said the City had not priced in the fall in the precious metal which has dropped from £1,054 an ounce in March to £925.
P&G ask former boss to return to the helm
Incoming Procter & Gamble boss A G Lafley said that a sense of “duty” had persuaded him to return to his former job at the consumer goods giant. Mr Lafley, who had retired, is taking on the roles of chairman, president and chief executive. He will replace Bob McDonald.
Weak recovery could last for three years
Britain will have to wait for the boom times to return despite “some signs of a pick-up” in the economy, the Bank of England rate-setter Paul Fisher declared yesterday. The Bank’s markets director, who has voted for more quantitative easing, said the UK’s weak recovery could last for another three years.
Boeing’s Dreamliner returns to the skies
The airline with the most Boeing Dreamliner jets will be the first to resume commercial flights with it today, four months after the 787 was grounded over safety fears. Japan’s All Nippon Airways will fly passengers on five 787 flights this month before launching scheduled services on the aircraft on 1 June.
- 1 Lucy Hawking: Stephen Hawking's daughter writes impassioned open letter to Katie Hopkins about rights of disabled people
- 2 #NotGuilty: Second Oxford student writes of brutal rape by two men who then threw her in a bin as part of campaign against victim blaming
- 3 Indonesia executions: Death row British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford will refuse to wear a blindfold when she faces firing squad
- 4 Oxygen-starved 'dead zones' with no marine life up to 100-miles long discovered in the Atlantic Ocean
- 5 How the language you speak changes your view of the world