The Sport Matrix: Friday 31 May 2013


Lions prop Jones ‘sick’ of conditions

Lions prop Adam Jones has voiced his unease with the “horrific” conditions the squad are training in ahead of tomorrow’s opening game of the tour against the Barbarians in Hong Kong. The forward said: “Training here has made me feel sick.” MORE

Everton talk to ex-Schalke coach

Everton have reportedly interviewed the former Schalke coach Ralf Rangnick over the vacant manager’s job. Roberto Martinez is also a contender to succeed David Moyes, having met chairman Bill Kenwright after requesting to leave Wigan this week.

Hughes driven to silence doubters

Mark Hughes has admitted his decision to take the manager’s job at Stoke City is partly motivated by his need to “prove people wrong”. The former Wales and Manchester City manager has signed a three-year deal, replacing Tony Pulis, who departed the club last week. MORE

Dettori cleared for comeback today

Frankie Dettori returns to action today following his six-month ban for a positive cocaine test. The BHA confirmed Dettori’s licence had been restored and he will make his comeback in the first two races at Epsom today, with his first Classic ride coming in the French Derby on Sunday. MORE

Cook tells England to focus on Kiwis

The England captain, Alastair Cook, warned his side to focus fully on their three-match one-day series against New Zealand, which starts at Lord’s today, ahead of the Champions Trophy next week. Cook said yesterday: “You can’t treat these matches as warm-ups at all.” MORE

Mcllroy’s forlorn form continues

Rory McIlroy is in danger of missing his second successive cut after carding a six-over-par 78 in the first round of the Memorial Tournament in Ohio yesterday. Lee Westwood did not fare much better than the world No 2, with the Briton finishing on four over par. MORE

Mayweather set  to fight Alvarez

Floyd Mayweather has said he will put his unbeaten record on the line in a light-middleweight unification world title fight against Saul Alvarez this year. Mayweather said he will fight the WBC and WBA light-middleweight champion at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.  MORE

FA confident that Maracana will be fit for friendly

The Football Association has insisted that Sunday’s friendly against Brazil at the Maracana Stadium will go ahead despite the issuing of a court order last night to postpone the match over safety concerns.  

Sao Paulo-based newspaper Estado stated in a report on its website that a state prosecutor had submitted a request for the match to be cancelled because of a lack of assurances that work on the stadium was complete. However, a statement from the stadium’s owners Rio de Janeiro State Government last night blamed a “bureaucratic failure” for failing to deliver a police report that proves compliance has been met at the world famous stadium, which has been given a £380m facelift.

Managing director of Club England, Adrian Bevington told i that they have received assurances the fixture will still go ahead.

“We are working on the basis that the game is going ahead. We’ve not been told any differently,” he said. “We’re planning as normal to play the match.”

Workers at the iconic venue have been working 20-hour days in a bid to complete building work in time for England’s visit and next month’s Confederations Cup.