A pound a film day
Thursday 12 June 1997
Inaugurated to celebrate the first 100 years of commercial cinema, National Cinema Day is also a celebration of the UK's growing appetite for a night out at the movies. Last year, over 10 per cent of the 123 million people who visited the cinema in the UK did so on National Cinema day. This Sunday, the organisers expect thousands of cars to go unwashed and lawns unmown as an anticipated 1.5 million cinema-goers spend the day in front of over 2,000 screens.
In selected cinemas, you'll be able to see Michelle Pfeiffer (above), George Clooney, Leonardo de Caprio, Julie Walters and many others in special previews of their latest films. Budding film-makers can start catching up on Martin Scorsese, who saw The Big Sleep over 400 times at his local cinema. At the very least, you can put Quentin Crisp's axiom to the test that "any movie, even the worst, is better than real life".
Life & Style blogs
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...