Choice: Film: LA Confidential
Monday 03 November 1997
Attention all Kevin Spacey-cadets: the main man is appearing live on stage (he was a stage actor for years before movie stardom) at London's Almeida Theatre next April in Eugene O'Neill's monster bar-room drama, The Iceman Cometh. In the USA Spacey is currently famous for doing interviews to publicise his role in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (a gay-centred film made, bizarrely, by Clint Eastwood) in which he refused to discuss his private life. Meantime, over here we have this cracking new thriller LA Confidential, also starring Kim Basinger (above). As Ryan Gilbey wrote: "It's a very well-made and intelligent picture, assembled with an attention to detail, both in plot and characterisation, that you might have feared was all but extinct in American cinema." All that plus the man who almost made you believe A Time to Kill was worth watching (I said, "almost"), did the dirty in Glengarry Glen Ross, who invaded your nightmares in Seven and won an Oscar for The Usual Suspects.
Life & Style blogs
‘I had to terminate my pregnancies because I was carrying girls’ - the story of a woman forced into gender-selective abortions
'Excluded' dads put the heat on Mumsnet with campaign for parental parity in bringing up baby
Bill Granger recipes: Our chef cooks some American diner classics
GIF inventor Steve Wilhite says it should be pronounced 'jif'
'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Q&A by Simon Calder: How far could it have travelled? Who was responsible and what would their plans be? And how can a plane just vanish?
- 4 California man Christopher Viatafa surrenders to police after googling own name and discovering himself listed as ‘most wanted’
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Charter Selection: This well respected and exciting...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Charter Selection: This exciting company and market...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + EXCELLENT SALARY: Austen Lloyd: Senior Private Cli...
£25,000 to £35,000: IT Connections Ltd: Signal Processing Engineer / Acoustics...