Busting Unionmade's manufacturing myths
What's in a name? Quite a lot actually, as the American fashion brand Unionmade is finding out. Unionmade clothing is, you see, not union-made.
At a time when employees' rights and mobilised workforces are increasingly under pressure – if not on the wane more broadly – this nomenclature is a true case of style over substance.
The title refers to a concept rather than a truth, intended to convey the rich heritage of labour that constitutes aesthetic niceness, but with none of the rights that come with it. Put another way, it's retro-hipsterism gone mad.
Which is all well and good as long as numpties keep on buying vintage typewriters and old sewing machines as ornaments.
But if your workers haven't yet attempted to rip their foreman to pieces Germinal-style, then for heaven's sake, maybe don't remind them that they could.
Life & Style blogs
Twitter’s American Airlines ‘terror threat’ 14-year-old girl arrested by police in Rotterdam
Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
Heartbleed: 50m Android phones may be affected, report shows
World’s first cannabis vending machine unveiled in Colorado
Smoking cannabis could change the part of the brain dealing with motivation, according to one new study
- 1 Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 2 The best movies on Netflix: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 What's in the safe? Man live-photographs cracking of mysterious locked box on Reddit
- 5 Drugs giant GlaxoSmithKline bribed doctors to boost sales, says whistleblower
£100 - £165 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: We are looking for a Teacher of...
Main Teacher Pay Scale : Randstad Education Leeds: English Teacher RequiredImm...
£90 - £120 per day + tax deductable expenses: Randstad Education Leicester: KS...
£35000 - £45000 per annum + excellent company benefits : Pro-Recruitment Group...