Busting Unionmade's manufacturing myths
What's in a name? Quite a lot actually, as the American fashion brand Unionmade is finding out. Unionmade clothing is, you see, not union-made.
At a time when employees' rights and mobilised workforces are increasingly under pressure – if not on the wane more broadly – this nomenclature is a true case of style over substance.
The title refers to a concept rather than a truth, intended to convey the rich heritage of labour that constitutes aesthetic niceness, but with none of the rights that come with it. Put another way, it's retro-hipsterism gone mad.
Which is all well and good as long as numpties keep on buying vintage typewriters and old sewing machines as ornaments.
But if your workers haven't yet attempted to rip their foreman to pieces Germinal-style, then for heaven's sake, maybe don't remind them that they could.
Life & Style blogs
Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
Another transgender model lands contract with top agency IMG
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
iPhone ‘effective power’ bug: how to be safe from iOS flaw that lets people crash iPhone with text
Video claims California will be hit by huge earthquake because of the alignment of the planets — but it’s probably wrong
- 1 Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
- 2 Natalie Portman tells Harvard graduates: 'Accept your lack of knowledge'
- 3 Father of 12 accused of raping, beating, starving and abusing his own children in US 'cult'
- 4 Britain's Got Talent 2015: Jamie Raven divides Twitter as fans expose mind-boggling magic trick
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: One of the South East's fastest growing full s...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£30000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Estimating, preparation of tech...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will work as part of a smal...