Busting Unionmade's manufacturing myths
What's in a name? Quite a lot actually, as the American fashion brand Unionmade is finding out. Unionmade clothing is, you see, not union-made.
At a time when employees' rights and mobilised workforces are increasingly under pressure – if not on the wane more broadly – this nomenclature is a true case of style over substance.
The title refers to a concept rather than a truth, intended to convey the rich heritage of labour that constitutes aesthetic niceness, but with none of the rights that come with it. Put another way, it's retro-hipsterism gone mad.
Which is all well and good as long as numpties keep on buying vintage typewriters and old sewing machines as ornaments.
But if your workers haven't yet attempted to rip their foreman to pieces Germinal-style, then for heaven's sake, maybe don't remind them that they could.
Life & Style blogs
Ebola outbreak: Virus to kill 67,000 in Monrovia by December, claims academic study
Ebola: NYC doctor Craig Spencer tests positive for disease after returning from west Africa
Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
What do the text messages between you and your partner reveal about your relationship?
Controversy over Queen Elizabeth II's 'first tweet'
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£47,334 - £59,058 per annum: Coventry University: The Centre for Agroecology, ...