Harriet Walker: Why not, if your daughter has style?
The real danger of dressing like one's daughter depends on the daughter
Tuesday 26 July 2011
fashion becomes a perilous landscape after "a certain age": the words "mutton" and "lamb" spring to mind, unfair and misogynistic as they both are. A recent addition to the lexicon is the catch-all phrase "age-appropriate", whether it applies to Granny in PVC hotpants or Miley Cyrus exposing a bra strap.
When it comes to mothers who dress like their daughters, the response must be: "Well, duh." Daughters dress like their mothers too, as part of an inseparable bond that starts when they first latch on to feed.
As a daughter of a chic woman myself, I find her style influences mine just as often as she quizzes me about what's currently in vogue. Many mums and daughters end up dressing identically, whether it's nature or nurture at the heart of it.
The real danger of dressing like one's daughter depends on the daughter. If we are talking lacy, gothic regalia or a velour tracksuit, "mother knows best" is better than "birds of a feather", or you run the risk of looking like Dorian from the sitcom of the same name.
Life & Style blogs
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
A nap a day could save your life
Windows 10 automatically sends parents detailed dossier of their children's internet history and computer use
The antidote to Tinder? Majority of dating app users want relationship, rather than hook-ups, study finds
The truth behind who really buys sex dolls, from the man who makes the most realistic ones you can buy
- 1 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 2 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 3 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 4 News agency criticised for describing Amal Clooney as 'actor's wife' in coverage of human rights trial
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
£28000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£22000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company's mission is to ma...
£13832 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This 5 star leisure destination on the w...
£20000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Account Manager is requ...