How To Be Beautiful: Everything's coming up roses
Sunday 27 January 2013
Given their ancient associations with beauty, it's not surprising that roses turn up in your bathroom cabinet more than any other flower, and in so many forms. In cosmetics, it's a conceptual thing – how many lipsticks, glosses, blushers and primers come with rose-based names, promising velvety, petal-softness and delicate hues?
Yet, the connection can also be more sensorial – when it comes to beauty products, rose-based scents, present in so many of them, tend to carry us back to some primal scene at a mother or grandmother's dressing table.
But it's not all about mere ideas – extracts from this bloom cover pretty much every function you might be after, from toning and soothing to plumping and softening. And while roses find their way into some of the most luxurious products on the market, you'll find that a bottle of rose water (ideally made up by your local pharmacist) is a thrifty way to add a satisfyingly old-school touch to a beauty routine.
Life & Style blogs
Replica cars: The 'new classics' roaring back into the lead
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: which is the best?
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
Headaches, fry ups, and hair of the dog - why do we get hangovers, and is there such thing as a 'cure'?
- 1 Scotland independence vote: Everything you ever wanted to know about life after the result
- 2 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Piers Morgan attempts to save the Union by promising to go back to the US if Scotland votes 'No' to independence
- 5 Tyler, The Creator says having the new U2 album automatically downloaded on his iPhone was 'like waking up with herpes'
£50 - £65 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: We are looking for flexible and i...
£50 - £65 per annum: Randstad Education Leeds: We are looking for flexible and...
£130 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS2 Supply Teacher r...
£130 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS1 Teacher required,...