How To Be Beautiful: Everything's coming up roses
Sunday 27 January 2013
Given their ancient associations with beauty, it's not surprising that roses turn up in your bathroom cabinet more than any other flower, and in so many forms. In cosmetics, it's a conceptual thing – how many lipsticks, glosses, blushers and primers come with rose-based names, promising velvety, petal-softness and delicate hues?
Yet, the connection can also be more sensorial – when it comes to beauty products, rose-based scents, present in so many of them, tend to carry us back to some primal scene at a mother or grandmother's dressing table.
But it's not all about mere ideas – extracts from this bloom cover pretty much every function you might be after, from toning and soothing to plumping and softening. And while roses find their way into some of the most luxurious products on the market, you'll find that a bottle of rose water (ideally made up by your local pharmacist) is a thrifty way to add a satisfyingly old-school touch to a beauty routine.
Life & Style blogs
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Babies cry at night to stop mothers procreating, scientists claim
Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
The 10 Best kitchen knives
Kim Jong-ale: How did Ushers brewery of Trowbridge end up in North Korea producing Pyongyang's number one beer - and what did it take to set up a taste test back in Wiltshire?
- 1 KFC 'sorry' after lesbian couple are kicked out of Bath restaurant for 'heavy petting'
- 2 Dylan Tombides: West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker has died after battle with cancer
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
- 5 PFA Player of the Year: Luis Suarez, Daniel Sturridge and Steven Gerrard all nominated as Liverpool dominate award shortlist
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...