Let’s twist again: 2013’s 1960s redux
This spring, go back to the future with the space-age and swinging signatures of London’s hippest decade, says Gemma Hayward
Tuesday 05 March 2013
OK, so it makes little sense chronologically but, after autumn’s Seventies flavour, designers have taken the Sixties as inspiration for spring– all short hems, bright colours and retro-futurist shapes. All you need, in fact, for your very own summer of love.
Marc Jacobs, both at his own label and Louis Vuitton, went for arty references from the decade, with Op-Art inspired black and white stripes at the former and chequerboard separates in monochrome, lemon yellow and palest nude at the latter. Moschino rather doffed its cap to London in a collection that seemed to hail from Carnaby Street in miniskirts and shift dresses, trapeze-line coats and swing jackets with pocket detailing. Daisy applique dresses and Peter Pan collars felt less Milan than Margate Saturday girls on a day off in The Smoke. At Miu Miu too, pieces were embellished with paste jewels and cut boxily, begging to be paired with a pair of mules and a beehive.
The look is naïve but eclectic, featuring plenty of acrylic and Bakelite accessories, from earrings to sunglasses, and topped off with vibrant beauty shades too, in pastel and electric blue for a suitably space-age feel. And try developing last summer’s neon oranges and pinks from accents to block colours in girlish separates for real zinging, swinging style.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
£38000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's best performing...
£35000 - £43000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our award-winning client is one...
£15000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of Atlas ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Opportunity to join established...