Indignant Dolce & Gabbana shut up shop
The citizens of Milan – which, like other Italian cities, faces surging unemployment and a vicious recession – wrestled at the weekend with the additional prospect of being unable to buy Dolce & Gabbana’s highly priced clothes for a few days.
The prickly design duo announced they were shutting all their Milan outlets in protest at comments made by a city councillor regarding their legal record, with Franco D’Alfonso from the centre-left council declaring: “We don’t need to be represented by tax evaders.”
The pair, who are feted by Hollywood stars, were handed 20-month jail sentences in June, for failing to declare income of €1bn to Italy’s tax authorities.
The words “Closed for Indignation” were emblazoned on the windows of their nine outlets in the city.
The pair are still at liberty, while lawyers plan appeals against their convictions.
All of Dolce & Gabbana’s Milan outlets will remain closed until Tuesday, including its garish restaurant, Gold, the haunt of many foreign businessmen and young ladies from Latvia.
Life & Style blogs
Report finds English children among the unhappiest in world
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
The best gowns on the red carpet of 2014 Venice Film Festival
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- < Previous
- Next >
£32000 - £38000 Per Annum Bonus, Life Insurance + Other Benefits: Clearwater P...
£110 per day + competitive: Orgtel: Project Coordinator (SC Cleared), Cisco Go...
£200 - £250 per day + competitive: Orgtel: KYC Analyst, Key Banking Client, Bi...
£400 - £500 per day: Orgtel: Test Manager - Banking - West Yorkshire - £400-£5...