Five Wives vodka 'offends Mormons'
Friday 01 June 2012
If drinkers in Idaho fancy having Five Wives, they will now have to go elsewhere: regulators in the state have banned the sale of the humorously titled vodka after deeming it offensive to Mormons.
Five Wives vodka is made by Ogden's Own Distillery in Utah, where the Mormon Church is based. Its label carries the image of five women, an apparent reference to polygamy, a practice officially abandoned by the Church more than a century ago.
Regulators in Idaho notified Elite Spirits Distributor that the brand's concept is "offensive to a prominent segment of our population and will not be carried".
"The bottom line is, we represent everybody," said Jeff Anderson, the Idaho State Liquor Division administrator. "It's masterful marketing on their part. But it doesn't play here." He added that hundreds of other vodka brands were readily available in the state.
Ogden's distillery has responded by launching a media campaign and selling "Free the Five Wives" T-shirts. It says the snub is unfair because a Utah beer named Polygamy Porter is available in Idaho.
Life & Style blogs
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Greggs Google fail: bakery chain falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
'Long Live the Nazis' spaghetti dish sold in Taiwan renamed after backlash
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Police shoot and kill second young black man near Ferguson
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 4 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...