Italian truffles fetch $330,000
Monday 29 November 2010
A casino mogul bid $330,000 (£211,000) for a pair of white truffles, including one weighing about 2lb (900g), matching the record price he paid at the same event three years ago for one of the giant fungi.
The billionaire Stanley Ho made the winning bid on Saturday at a charity auction through representatives of his company Sociedade de Jogos de Macau.
The pair included a huge truffle dug up in the central Tuscany region weighing about 2lb as well as one found in Molise weighing about 14oz.
The auction was staged at Mr Ho's Grand Lisboa hotel in the former Portuguese colony of Macau, with bidders participating simultaneously in Rome and London through a satellite link.
In 2007, Mr Ho paid $330,000 for a Tuscan white truffle weighing about 3lb 5oz.
Life & Style blogs
10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...