Italian truffles fetch $330,000
Monday 29 November 2010
A casino mogul bid $330,000 (£211,000) for a pair of white truffles, including one weighing about 2lb (900g), matching the record price he paid at the same event three years ago for one of the giant fungi.
The billionaire Stanley Ho made the winning bid on Saturday at a charity auction through representatives of his company Sociedade de Jogos de Macau.
The pair included a huge truffle dug up in the central Tuscany region weighing about 2lb as well as one found in Molise weighing about 14oz.
The auction was staged at Mr Ho's Grand Lisboa hotel in the former Portuguese colony of Macau, with bidders participating simultaneously in Rome and London through a satellite link.
In 2007, Mr Ho paid $330,000 for a Tuscan white truffle weighing about 3lb 5oz.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...