Public are 'wrong' about meat
Around six out of 10 people believe lean cuts of red meat contain more than 20 per cent fat, even though the true level is less than half that amount, research suggests.
Two-thirds of more than 2,000 people questioned also think chicken has less fat than steak, despite this not always being true.
Meatmatters, which is funded by the meat industry, carried out the survey. It said people believed meats such as beef, lamb and pork were more unhealthy than they are.
The World Cancer Research Fund has warned against eating too much red or processed meat because of fears it increases cancer risks.
Life & Style blogs
Plus London's buy-to-let hotspots and a new property portal
Guest post by Richard Sexton, business development director of e.surv chartered surveyors
Plus lateral thinking and living on London's waterways
Facial hair: Cat beards and the purrrsuit of excellence
Microsoft's Xbox One: Have the price (£399) and release date (30 November) been leaked by online retailer Zavvi?
James Pembroke: The man who's eaten everywhere
The 10 Best salt and pepper sets
Xbox One vs PlayStation 4: Why Microsoft's console name game just doesn't add up
- 1 Pope Francis: Being an atheist is alright as long as you do good
- 2 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 3 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 4 Archaeologists uncover nearly 5,000 cave paintings in Burgos, Mexico
- 5 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.