Google starts to forget: first 'irrelevant' links removed in compliance with EU ruling
Searches for names from EU domains will now be appended with a notice: "Some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe"
Thursday 26 June 2014
Google has started removing search results for certain queries in compliance with the European Union’s ruling on the so-called “right to be forgotten”.
The landmark legislation was upheld by the European Court of Justice on 13 May, with regulators granting citizens in 28 EU member states the right to petition Google to remove links to sites containing information that they deemed “inadequate, irrelevant or no longer relevant”.
Google has since set up a web form to facilitate this process and reported receiving more than 41,000 requests in the first four days. Today it announced that a small number of requests have been processed and that is slowly ramping up its capacity to deal with requests.
"This week we're starting to take action on the removals requests that we've received," a Google spokesman said. "This is a new process for us. Each request has to be assessed individually, and we're working as quickly as possible to get through the queue."
Google has previously suggested that it might highlight each individual link that has been removed as it does for takedowns on pirated content, but EU regulators told the search engine that doing so would undermine the ruling by drawing more attention to the removed links.
Read more: Google must delete links, says top EU court
'The fact is, information doesn't want to be controlled'
The ‘right to be forgotten’ is also a licence to rewrite history
Instead, a notice will appear at the bottom of the search page telling users “Your results may have been modified under data protection law in Europe” with a link to learn more about the ruling. Google says this notice will appear for all name queries in Europe except for celebrities (individuals in the public eye are explicitly excluded from submitting requests by the EU).
Early reports suggested that among the first individuals petitioning Google to have search results removed were a scandal-hit politician seeking re-election, a doctor wanting to remove negative reviews of his practice and a man convicted of possessing child abuse.
Following the ruling Google set up a committee to examine the ethical and legal challenges of removing links, with a penal including Google chairman Eric Schmidt, Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales and Oxford University professor of ethics and philosophy at Luciano Floridi.
Speaking to The Independent in May, Professor Floridi said that the ruling has “raised the bar so high that the old rules of the internet no longer apply”.
“People would be screaming if a powerful company suddenly decided what information could be seen by what people, when and where,” he said. “That is the consequence of this decision. A private company now has to decide what is in the public interest.”
Sales of the tablet are set to fall again say analysts
World's most lethal spider found under a bunch of bananas
British supermodel and hitmaker join forces to launch a 'huge song'
I Am Bread could actually a challenging and nuanced title
Rumours that the star wants to move on to pastures new
Life & Style blogs
Soylent: Could a slug of nutritionally engineered sludge ever replace the leisurely meal?
Jeremy Hunt tells nurses 'path to lower cost is the same as the path to safer care'
Cara Delevingne photographed naked by Mario Testino for Allure magazine
Dear young men: The old stereotypes of what it is to be a 'man' are a load of rubbish
What lies beneath La Perla's 60 years of luxury lingerie?
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Sorry Judy Finnigan – Ched Evans is no less sickening than an alleyway rapist
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Workers 'could be forced to pay £5 a week' to get benefits
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Ebola outbreak: What is bushmeat – and is it to blame for the disease that has killed thousands?
- 3 Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
- 4 Meet Thea, Norway's 12-year-old child bride
- 5 Russell Brand might seem like a sexy revolutionary worth getting behind, but he will only fail his fans
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£60000 - £65000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: A globally successful media and ...
competitive + benefits: Sauce Recruitment: Are you looking for your next role ...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: This is your chance to join a gl...
£22000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based in Thame i...