Indie game 'Minecraft' tops YouTube gaming channel chart, earns gold
Thursday 30 September 2010
A cut-price PC game with basic, blocky graphics has been capturing the imaginations of gamers the world over and, thanks to the slow burn of word-of-mouth recommendations igniting into a populist frenzy,
Minecraft has become a huge cult hit even before its official release.
With most of the development work done by just one guy, Sweden's Markus Persson, Minecraft is most definitely a commercial prospect, but the current work-in-progress version is offered at half price (€9.95) to those that buy now and fund its future development.
Conceived as a twist on classics such as the territorial defense game Dwarf Fortress, Dungeon Keeper's corridor monster hunting, RollerCoaster Tycoon, and especially influenced by the free indie game Infiniminer, Persson's brainchild has taken off like few others.
Minecraft's curiously compulsive terrain forming is also reminiscent of Populous, crude yet expressive graphics are like an early Zelda or a happy Doom level creator, and the zombie survival mode becomes a bizarre mental mish-mash of Left 4 Dead's panicked routefinding, Command & Conquer's resource gathering, and a hallucinatory episode based entirely on LEGO bricks and cardboard cut-outs.
Speaking to industry website Gamasutra in March 2010, Persson was pleased at having seen sales increase to 200 copies per day for a total of 6,400. Six months later, the daily figure for paid downloads is passing 10,000 and total sales are over 270,000. All that for something that's available as a free browser-based game that isn't even finished.
A minor niggle obstructing some players' exploratory progress was the lack of a comprehensive tutorial, but an enthusiastic community put that to rights with a bevy of YouTube videos and an extensive standalone Wiki.
One of them, September 27's "Building Megaobjects in Minecraft", became the most viewed gaming video for the entire week leading up to September 29. Witness it for yourself, as an intrepid player reveals his own pet project - the bare bones of Star Trek's Starship Enterprise, replicated at a magnificent and colossal 1:1 scale.
Most viewed YouTube gaming videos, week ending September 29
1) Building Megaobjects in Minecraft - 347,825 total views
2) TotalBiscuit teaches LisaNova how to play StarCraft 2 Pt 1 - 295,928 total views
3) HD Starcraft 2 NEXgenius v Losira - 269,019 total views
4) Predator Missile in the FACE! - 231,573 total views
5) Horde Guild Mount - Scorpion / Kron'Kar Annihilator (v2) - 194,219 total views
6) Gun Size Matters (UNRATED CUT) - 145,715 total views
7) Super Luigi Galaxy - Episode 25 - 100,560 total views
8) Cataclysm Beta - Heroic Stonecore Part 2 - 149,097 total views
9) Cataclysm Beta - Singing Sunflower Companion Pet (Plants vs Zombies) - 90,423 total views
10) Hot Chicks in TRON!! - 87,906 total views
Investigate Minecraft further at the official site http://www.minecraft.net, fan-made wiki http://www.minecraftwiki.net, and the development blog http://notch.tumblr.com.
Read the Markus Persson interview at Gamasutra and find further game coverage at RockPaperShotgun.
Life & Style blogs
The Swedes are adding a gender-neutral pronoun to their dictionary
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
Beijing to the US by train: China outlines plans to connect world by high speed rail network
Distressed Zayn Malik fans are cutting themselves - how did fandom get so dark?
Eating quinoa and whole grains every day could help you live longer
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First
- 1 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 2 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 3 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 4 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
- 5 Cate Blanchett loses temper during interview: 'That's your f**king question?'
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£20000 - £25000 per annum + uncapped commission : SThree: Hello! I know most ...
£22000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Consultant trainee opportunit...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Web Developer -...
£17000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Technical Analyst required for ...