Facebook 'in talks to buy Israeli sat-nav start-up Waze for $1bn'
Facebook Inc is reportedly in advanced talks to acquire Waze, the Israeli mobile satellite navigation start-up, for between $800 million to $1 billion dollars.
Business daily Calcalist said that talks began six months ago and that due diligence is now underway after a term sheet was signed.
Waze uses satellite signals from members' smartphones to generate maps and traffic data, which it then shares with other users to offer real-time traffic info.
Officials at Waze are yet to comment on Calcalist's report.
This would be Facebook's third acquisition in Israel. It bought Snaptu in 2011 for $70 million and Face.com in 2012 for $60 million.
In the last year, Waze tripled its user base to 45 million and in March alone, 1.5 million users downloaded the free mobile navigation app, Calcalist said.
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior QA Engineer Tes...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: C# .NET Developer (P...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Data Management, Dat...