Google Doodle honours 'Queen of Jazz' Ella Fitzgerald on 96th birthday
The Doodle shows singer on stage with a band
Google today honoured jazz singer Ella Fitzgerald with a Doodle on its homepage.
The Doodle is published on what would have been her 96th birthday and shows the singer, also known as 'Queen of Jazz', 'The First Lady of Song' and 'Lady Ella', performing on stage with a band and 'Google' emblazoned on the backdrop.
The singer was born on 25 April 1917 and died on 15 June 1996 at the age of 79. She made her first recording in 1936 when she was just 17. She enjoyed a highly successful career that spanned six decades and saw her win 13 Grammy awards.
The prolific singer recorded more than 200 albums and notched up sales of over 40m with a repertoire that included jazz, show tunes, bossa nova and opera. Her series of Songbook albums, which celebrated songwriters such as Duke Ellington, Cole Porter and the Gershwins, won her particular acclaim.
Her final concert at New York's Carnegie Hall in 1991 topped a glittering career.
Life & Style blogs
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Eurovision 2015: Graham Norton returns with another cutting commentary - his best lines
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take title from Conchita Wurst
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Graduate UI Application Developer - ...