Google to shut down RSS service Reader after decline in usage
Google will shut down its RSS service Google Reader in July, citing a decline in usage.
A post on its official blog read: "We launched Google Reader in 2005 in an effort to make it easy for people to discover and keep tabs on their favorite websites. While the product has a loyal following, over the years usage has declined. So, on July 1, 2013, we will retire Google Reader."
As an RSS service Google Reader currently allows users to aggregate different websites' content by constantly checking for new content and publishing them on their feed.
Google said that users would be able to export their data - to use on other RSS services - using Google Takeout before the 1 July deadline.
Life & Style blogs
Dresden riots: Protesters in Germany attack refugee buses shouting 'foreigners out'
France train shooting: US soldiers speak of the moment they stopped gunman and 'beat him until he was unconscious'
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'deluding' young supporters with 'claptrap'
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
- 1 Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
- 2 Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
- 3 Miley Cyrus address Robin Thicke VMA controversy: ‘He wanted me as naked as possible, but I got the heat because I’m a woman’
- 4 iPhone 6s camera: features to include 4K video camera and flash for selfies
- 5 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£32000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With extensive experience and a...
£13000 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They focus on four deeply overl...
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A truly exciting opportunity has ari...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Setup, configure, troubleshoot,...