Microsoft unveils Xbox One Dashboard including 4oD, Netflix, Lovefilm apps
With the Xbox One Microsoft is aiming to take over your entire living room
Although Microsoft have been drip feeding news about the Xbox One’s capabilities for months, they’ve have now given fans (and haters) the most comprehensive look at the console’s dashboard to date.
The new release makes it clear that Microsoft’s ambitions are way beyond gaming – they want to take over your entire TV. Xbox’s chief marketing and strategy officer Yusuf Mehdi makes this clear by addressing a question commonly asked by consumers: “What’s the value of having entertainment and gaming brought together, why is that better if really what I like to do most is gaming?”
Mehdi gives the example of notifications, showing how running live TV through the console will mean that invitations (to play games or enter a Skype call for example) will never be missed, with messages popping up on screen.
Combine this with the integrated Internet Explorer browser, the range of supported on-demand services (including 4oD, Lovefilm, Netflix, and Sky’s Now TV), and a powerful voice command system (goodbye to multiple controllers!) and it seems that Microsoft’s claim to be the ‘one’ input you need is pretty credible.
The Xbox One will include an input for live TV, allowing notifications to pop up whilst you watch your media.
A run-down of the dashboard’s other main features:
- Live TV: a HDMI port on the Xbox One will support “any HDMI device” (including, it’s rumoured, the PS4) so TV can be passed through the device. A powerful feature, especially when combined with the Snap function (see below).
- App partnerships: 4oD, Lovefilm, Netflix, Eurosport and Sky’s NOW TV service will all run directly from the Xbox dashboard. A full list of region specific partners can be seen here.
- Voice commands: The chance to order about your console like an overworked servant. ‘Xbox go to TV’, ‘Xbox record that’, ‘Xbox, when’s my dinner ready?’. If it works as smoothly as it does in demos it could revolutionize the living room.
- Snap multitasking: Can be activated by voice commands and allows you to split your screen (with adjustable ratios) between TV, music, games, Skype or internet browsing.
- Instant switching: All of this multimedia integration will only frustrate users if it’s slow or unresponsive but Microsoft are promising that instant will mean instant. The video demonstration shows about a half second delay – which is likely as near to instant as you could want.
The Xbox One is released on 22 November.
Life & Style blogs
What is Lyme disease, what are the symptoms and is treatment readily available?
iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
The face of fertility: why do men find women who are near ovulation more attractive?
'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
- 1 David Cameron refers to 83-year-old Labour MP Dennis Skinner as 'Jurassic Park'
- 2 iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 5 Alwaleed bin Talal: Saudi Prince to donate entire $32bn fortune to charity
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity to join a medium s...
£8000 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity ...
£17500 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity is now ...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you familiar with the sayin...