Pirate Party support soars with legal file sharing policy
Friday 01 May 2009
A new poll shows a Swedish party that calls for legalising internet file-sharing could win a seat in the European Parliament in June.
The poll published yesterday in the Stockholm newspaper Dagens Nyheter shows the Pirate Party's backing has surged after a court verdict against The Pirate Bay file-sharing site.
Four men behind The Pirate Bay were convicted this month of copyright violations and sentenced to a year in prison.
The survey of about 1,500 people shows 5.1 per cent of Swedish voters support the Pirate Party. Four per cent is the minimum for a seat in the European Parliament. The error margin was 1.8 percentage points.
The Pirate Party was founded in 2006 with the aim of legalising non-commercial file-sharing of music and films on the internet.
Life & Style blogs
Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
Manuel Noriega fails in bid to sue Call of Duty makers for using his likeness in video game
Sex with more than 20 women 'reduces risk of prostate cancer'
Six months on bail – for being sent spoof video of a ‘tiger’ having sex, that was really a man in a tiger suit
Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey pulled from shelves over anti-freeze ingredient propylene glycol
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 3 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
- 4 North Korean officials 'publicly executed for watching South Korean soap operas'
- 5 Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£25 - 32k DOE: Guru Careers: A digital-savvy Marketing Account Manager / Clien...
£23-30k (DOE) + Bonus: Guru Careers: We are seeking bright Business Developmen...
25-30k + Comms + Benefits: Sphere Digital Recruitment: A rapidly expanding tag...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our large organisa...