Supply issues hit iPhone 4S sales
Friday 02 December 2011
The latest iPhone has failed to become the UK's best-selling handset during its first full month on the market - because retailers cannot stock it quickly enough to keep up with demand.
Apple's new iPhone 4S was beaten to the top of the Mobile Tracker handset chart in November by the Samsung Galaxy S II, which has been the best-selling device for eight consecutive months.
But independent price comparison and switching service uSwitch.com, which compiles Mobile Tracker based on live searches and sales, said this was due to stock shortages.
Ernest Doku, technology expert at uSwitch.com, said: "The iPhone 4S has generated a huge level of interest from consumers, and retailers have found it tough to cope with the high demand.
"This situation has been compounded by the iPhone 4S's surprising level of affordability. Now free from just £35 per month, the iPhone 4S is priced competitively against other major smartphones, and demand certainly reflects that.
"However, this should not take anything away from Samsung's achievement with the ever-popular Galaxy S II. It is undoubtedly the phone of the year, critically acclaimed and capturing the interest of smartphone addicts across the country for the last eight months."
The iPhone 4S was launched in the UK on October 14, just nine days after Apple's pioneering former chief executive Steve Jobs died following a lengthy battle with pancreatic cancer.
It includes a camera with advanced optics; Siri, a so-called intelligent assistant that "helps you get things done just by asking"; and iCloud, a service which synchronises content across multiple devices.
The Mobile Tracker chart for November looked like this:
1. Samsung Galaxy S II - Android - No change
2. iPhone 4S (16GB) - Apple iOS - Up 4 places
3. Samsung Galaxy Ace - Android - Down 1 place
4. iPhone 4 (16GB) - Apple iOS - Down 1 place
5. HTC Wildfire S - Android - Down 1 place
6. Nokia Lumia 800 - Windows Phone 7 - New entry
7. Samsung Galaxy Note - Android - New entry
8. Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Android - New entry
9. HTC Sensation XE - Android - New entry
10. Sony Ericsson Arc S Black - Android - Up 2 places
Life & Style blogs
10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£27500 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are the go-to company for ...
£20 - 28k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Graduate Software Develop...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Digital Web Designer is required to join a f...