Craig David to front campaign to wipe out TB
Thursday 25 March 2010
Singer Craig David is adding his voice to the global fight against TB after today being appointed goodwill ambassador for a campaign to wipe out the deadly disease.
The UK star - who has sold more than 13 million albums - was given the position by the Stop TB Partnership at an event at the United Nations HQ in New York to mark World TB Day.
He aims to raise awareness globally about the condition which kills nearly two million people annually.
David said: "Music is a universal language. I believe that through people's love of music we can increase knowledge and understanding and support people affected by TB.
"I hope that people who feel inspired by my music will also feel moved by what I have to say about TB."
The Seven Days singer travelled to Cape Town, South Africa, earlier this month to learn more about TB visiting affected communities.
"It was a life-changing experience for me to hear first-hand what it is like to live in a country where half a million people become ill with TB every year and meet people who are fighting hard and making progress every day," he said.
Life & Style blogs
Charlie Charlie Challenge: how to banish the demon from your Facebook and Twitter news feed
Another transgender model lands contract with top agency IMG
Man charged £223,000 for six craft beers
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Video claims California will be hit by huge earthquake because of the alignment of the planets — but it’s probably wrong
- 1 UK's biggest male rape charity Survivors UK has state funding slashed to zero despite 120% rise in men reporting sexual violence and seeking help
- 2 'Don't blame all men for rape' campaign backfires spectacularly
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: it's not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
- 5 Paracetamol Challenge: Mother of girl killed by overdose pleads with teenagers to ignore 'craze'
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45K YR1: SThree: At SThree, we like to be dif...
£30 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Software / Web Developer (PHP / MYSQL) i...
£18 - 20k + Benefits: Guru Careers: An Account Executive is needed to join one...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Software Developer / Software Engineer i...