Doctors call for nuns to be given the Pill
Jeremy Laurance is a writer on health issues. He is former health editor of The Independent and the i and has covered the specialism for more than 20 years. He thinks the harm medicine does is under-appreciated, the harm it prevents over-rated, and that cycling works better than most drugs. He was named Specialist Journalist of the Year in the 2011 British Press Awards.
Thursday 08 December 2011
It might sound like a bad joke to suggest that Catholic nuns should be prescribed the contraceptive pill. But two Australian doctors say it would protect them from the "accursed pest" of cancer which has been recognised for 300 years.
Like other women who do not have children, nuns have an increased risk of dying from breast, ovarian or uterine cancers. Studies show that women who have ever taken the contraceptive pill – the effect lasts for at least 20 years – have a 50-60 per cent reduced risk of ovarian and uterine cancer.
Writing in The Lancet, Dr Kara Britt and Professor Roger Short say the Catholic Church should rethink its condemnation of contraception and make the Pill available to nuns.
Life & Style blogs
Hair loss explained: How and why men go bald
This is how to react when you receive a terrible birthday present
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
Ashley Madison hacker could be posting on Twitter as 'Thadeus Zu', researcher claims
- 1 Video of Irish 'professional boxer' fighting Istanbul neighbourhood goes viral in Turkey
- 2 Novel Scarlett Johansson tried to ban, Grégoire Delacourt’s The First Thing You See, to be published in UK
- 3 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
- 4 Russia 'accidentally reveals' number of its soldiers killed in eastern Ukraine
- 5 Carol Vorderman reveals she is 'covered in burns' after she fell off her treadmill while running naked
£13000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to be part of a ...
£19000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT and Telecoms company ar...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...