Nighttime trips to the loo 'reduce productivity during the day'
Charlotte Philby is a writer at The Independent with a weekly column on motherhood in The Independent Magazine. She was shortlisted for the 2013 Cudlipp award for excellence in popular journalism for her undercover investigative work, and writes for various cultural magazines.
Sunday 17 March 2013
People who get up during the night to relieve themselves are less productive during the day than those who sleep through, according to new research.
The need to urinate once or more at night, known as nocturia, is linked to “notable work productivity loss”, according to a study presented to the European Association of Urology in Milan.
The study asked 385 men and 261 women with the condition to fill in a work productivity and activity impairment questionnaire, assessing the impact of health problems on their ability to work and perform regular tasks.
Nocturia – a condition which is more prevalent in pregnant women and the elderly – was linked to a 24 per cent drop in work productivity, more than asthma or chronic obtrusive pulmonary disease.
The report’s author, Dr Philip Van Kerrebroeck, a professor at the University of Maastricht in the Netherlands, said: “These data show that nocturia negatively affects both sleep and daytime performance. Its impact on work productivity is in line with many other chronic conditions.”
Life & Style blogs
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£70 - £90 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Higher Level Teaching Assist...
£50 - £80 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Randstad Education is the UK...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...