One in 10 adults in deprived parts of Britain have diabetes, new figures show
Monday 30 September 2013
People in deprived parts of England are twice as likely to have diabetes as those in wealthier areas, according to new figures
Brent in north London has the highest rate in the country, with 10.5 per cent of over-16s having the condition. This is almost double the rate in the City of London (5.5 per cent), which has England’s lowest rate despite being just three miles from Brent, according to analysis by the charity Diabetes UK. The vast majority of cases are of Type 2 diabetes, which is linked to unhealthy lifestyles and obesity.
Barbara Young, the charity’s chief executive, said: “It is truly alarming that there is now somewhere in England where more than one in 10 of the people have diabetes and shows that we are heading at frightening speed towards a future where diabetes becomes the norm.”
Life & Style blogs
Karl Lagerfeld's famous cat made £2m last year - that's more than Cara Delevingne earned
Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
Fast food Britain: The number of takeaways soars across the nation's high streets
Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
The Clove Club: The restaurant where you will pre-pay for your food
- 1 Rape threats, death threats and a police investigation after video poking fun at an Islamic Party in Malaysia goes viral
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 6-year-old writes ice cold Valentine's card to his stepmother
- 5 Syrian child photographed 'surrendering to camera because she thought it was a gun'
£15000 - £16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The ideal candidates will have ...
£22000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£23000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing boutique prac...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...