Mandela’s 92nd birthday wish list: 13 healthy things and your 67 minutes
Thursday 08 July 2010
July 18 is Mandela Day, an international day recognized by the United Nations in honor of the Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and former South African President Nelson Mandela's birthday where he celebrates by asking everyone to help make the world better, healthier and just.
Here are 13 healthy things from Mandela's 67-item wish list that you can gift him, he only asks that you pick one and donate 67 minutes of your time:
1. Get in touch with your local HIV organisations and find out how you can help.
2. Help out at your local hospice, as staff members often need as much support as the patients.
3. Many terminally ill people have no one to speak to. Take a little time to have a chat and bring some sunshine into their lives.
4. Talk to your friends and family about HIV.
5. Get tested for HIV and encourage your partner to do so too.
6. Take a bag full of toys to a local hospital that has a children's ward.
7. Take younger members of your family for a walk in the park.
8. Donate some medical supplies to a local community clinic.
9. Take someone you know, who can't afford it, to get their eyes tested or their teeth checked.
10. Bake something for a support group of your choice.
11. Start a community garden to encourage healthy eating in your community.
12. Donate a wheelchair or guide dog, to someone in need.
13. Create a food parcel and give it to someone in need.
Studies have found doing good actually brings you great happiness, so maybe try to better others lives more than once a year for 67 minutes on Mandela Day. Anyways July 18 is a good start.
If you would like to see his complete wish list visit: http://www.nelsonmandela.org/mandeladay/67_ways.html
To share your deed, submit it here: http://www.nelsonmandela.org/mandeladay/share_your_mandela_deed.html
Life & Style blogs
Winter crisis in A&E: Hospitals declare 'black alerts' as admissions shatter records, but full stats still unpublished
Unpaid make-up artists reveal the ugly side of Miss World
Bill Granger recipes: Tenderstem broccoli omelette; Fried eggs with Mexican-style tomato and chilli sauce; Pan-fried cavolo nero with soft-boiled egg
Google launches 'Contributor' payment service for ad-free internet browsing
When is a wine made in Piedmont not a Piemonte wine? When EU rules make Italian vineyards invisible
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CORPORATE - Corporate Solicitor NQ+ An excelle...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join a successful an...