Mandela’s 92nd birthday wish list: 13 healthy things and your 67 minutes
Thursday 08 July 2010
July 18 is Mandela Day, an international day recognized by the United Nations in honor of the Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and former South African President Nelson Mandela's birthday where he celebrates by asking everyone to help make the world better, healthier and just.
Here are 13 healthy things from Mandela's 67-item wish list that you can gift him, he only asks that you pick one and donate 67 minutes of your time:
1. Get in touch with your local HIV organisations and find out how you can help.
2. Help out at your local hospice, as staff members often need as much support as the patients.
3. Many terminally ill people have no one to speak to. Take a little time to have a chat and bring some sunshine into their lives.
4. Talk to your friends and family about HIV.
5. Get tested for HIV and encourage your partner to do so too.
6. Take a bag full of toys to a local hospital that has a children's ward.
7. Take younger members of your family for a walk in the park.
8. Donate some medical supplies to a local community clinic.
9. Take someone you know, who can't afford it, to get their eyes tested or their teeth checked.
10. Bake something for a support group of your choice.
11. Start a community garden to encourage healthy eating in your community.
12. Donate a wheelchair or guide dog, to someone in need.
13. Create a food parcel and give it to someone in need.
Studies have found doing good actually brings you great happiness, so maybe try to better others lives more than once a year for 67 minutes on Mandela Day. Anyways July 18 is a good start.
If you would like to see his complete wish list visit: http://www.nelsonmandela.org/mandeladay/67_ways.html
To share your deed, submit it here: http://www.nelsonmandela.org/mandeladay/share_your_mandela_deed.html
Life & Style blogs
Charlie Charlie Challenge: everyone on the internet thinks it’s a marketing stunt, but it probably isn’t
Not brushing your teeth can lead to dementia and heart disease
Yves Saint Laurent ad banned for featuring 'unhealthily underweight' model
Insomnia could be cured with one simple therapy session, new study claims
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 California man brutally beat 82-year-old Sikh grandfather he mistook for 'one of those people'
- 3 School kitchen manager 'fired from Colorado school for giving hungry students free lunches'
- 5 Charles Kennedy 'had better judgement drunk than many sober politicians' says Ian Hislop
£40000 - £47000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A 3rd Line Virtualisation / Sto...
£26000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A successful national service f...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£17500 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We currently require an experie...