Mandela’s 92nd birthday wish list: 13 healthy things and your 67 minutes
Thursday 08 July 2010
July 18 is Mandela Day, an international day recognized by the United Nations in honor of the Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and former South African President Nelson Mandela's birthday where he celebrates by asking everyone to help make the world better, healthier and just.
Here are 13 healthy things from Mandela's 67-item wish list that you can gift him, he only asks that you pick one and donate 67 minutes of your time:
1. Get in touch with your local HIV organisations and find out how you can help.
2. Help out at your local hospice, as staff members often need as much support as the patients.
3. Many terminally ill people have no one to speak to. Take a little time to have a chat and bring some sunshine into their lives.
4. Talk to your friends and family about HIV.
5. Get tested for HIV and encourage your partner to do so too.
6. Take a bag full of toys to a local hospital that has a children's ward.
7. Take younger members of your family for a walk in the park.
8. Donate some medical supplies to a local community clinic.
9. Take someone you know, who can't afford it, to get their eyes tested or their teeth checked.
10. Bake something for a support group of your choice.
11. Start a community garden to encourage healthy eating in your community.
12. Donate a wheelchair or guide dog, to someone in need.
13. Create a food parcel and give it to someone in need.
Studies have found doing good actually brings you great happiness, so maybe try to better others lives more than once a year for 67 minutes on Mandela Day. Anyways July 18 is a good start.
If you would like to see his complete wish list visit: http://www.nelsonmandela.org/mandeladay/67_ways.html
To share your deed, submit it here: http://www.nelsonmandela.org/mandeladay/share_your_mandela_deed.html
Life & Style blogs
Video shows how to turn your phone into a 3D hologram
Gill Pharaoh: Healthy former nurse, 75, passes away at assisted dying clinic after deciding old age is 'awful'
Free porn websites could be shut down within months, says David Cameron
The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
National Orgasm Day: Six reasons (plus one bogus one) why they're good for us
- 1 Video shows how to turn your phone into a 3D hologram
- 2 Artist Jamie McCartney: How The Great Wall of Vagina is a stand against 'body fascism'
- 3 Katie Hopkins reveals fear she will die during brain surgery to cure epilepsy
- 4 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 Michael B Jordan and Kate Mara handle excruciatingly awkward and offensive interview questions like pros
Up to 70k DOE: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Financial Director ...
£20000 - £24000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Support Analyst vacancy with a we...
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic and interes...
£16224 - £20280 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Warehouse & Stores Supervisor...