A Day That Shook The World: Exxon Valdez oil spill
Thursday 24 March 2011
On 24 March 1989 an Exxon Valdez oil tanker struck reef of the coast of Alaska, spilling around 750,000 barrels of oil.
Hailed as ‘the world’s worst oil spill’, it was the largest spill in US to-date and its remote location, near the Prince William Sound, seriously hampered efforts to stem the outflow of oil.
The crude oil spread a gooey sludge over miles of beautiful coastline, wreaking havoc on wildlife and industry.
Watch original British Pathe footage from the disaster (above)
Life & Style blogs
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Ed Miliband deemed less influential than One Direction's Louis Tomlinson by official Doncaster power list
- 3 Japanese island overrun with cats after population explodes
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
£16000 - £46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£9 - £13 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity to join a s...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Have you got a proven track rec...
£15000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity for...