A Day That Shook The World: Maastricht Treaty
Friday 10 December 2010
On 11 December 1991 the Maastricht Treaty was signed - an event which had huge significance for the future of Europe as the treaty laid out plans for a single currency and increased powers for Europe's Parliament.
Then Prime Minister John Major had fought hard to have the word 'federal' removed from the treaty and to secure an opt out for Britain from the Euro currency and social chapter.
See news footage from the time and hear Major's response to the treaty in this British Pathe video:
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
musicPolice chief rejects rappers' claims that his work is as dangerous as law enforcement or military service
comedy'Fresh Meat' star sees off stiff competition from Alan Carr, David Mitchell, Graham Norton, Lee Mack and Sarah Millican to win top prize
healthJames Bond's alcohol consumption puts him at 'high risk' of cirrhosis, tremors... and impotence
Life & Style blogs
The 50 Best Christmas Gifts for Women
Foodini: the £835 machine that 'prints' food in your kitchen
Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
In pictures: Christmas in London through the ages
Pirate Bay sets sail for Ascension Island after SX domain name seized by authorities
- 1 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 2 Italian court annuls prison sentence for elderly paedophile after 11-year-old victim tells investigators in Catanzaro that she loves him
- 3 Australia incest case: Deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- 4 Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
- 5 Fox News presenter tells viewers it is a 'fact' that both Jesus and Santa Claus are white
£40000 - £50000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: A leading prov...
£47999 - £58001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top Tier practi...
£74000 - £92000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: Financial Services Lawyer 2-...
attractive: Citifocus: Leading Asset Management house, wish to identify a temp...