A Day That Shook The World: Saddam Hussein captured
Tuesday 14 December 2010
On 14 December 2003 ousted Iraqi President Saddam Hussein was dramatically captured by US forces after he was found to be residing in a tiny underground cellar.
Hussein pulled from the underground cavern at a farmhouse roughly 10 miles from hometown Tikrit.
The then 66-year-old had been in hiding since Baghdad fell to US forces eight months earlier during the war in Iraq.
His capture was announced with a simple “Ladies and gentleman, we got him,” from US administrator Paul Bremer.
This British Pathe footage from the time shows a dishevelled-looking Hussein in US custody:
Life & Style blogs
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £40000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: .Mid Level V...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Competitive Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: Dig...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Car, Medical, Fuel + More!: Progressive Recruitmen...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits: Progressive Recruitment: An absolutely o...