Volvo starts making the world's first diesel plug-in hybrid
Volvo has started making the V60 Plug-in Hybrid. The new car, which is the world's first production diesel plug-in hybrid, is being built on the same line as the standard V60 at the Volvo's Torslanda plant in Gothenburg, alongside its other large models, the V70, XC70, S80 and XC90 – that's quite an achievement, apparently, given the Plug-in's extra complexity.
Volvo will build only a 1,000 or so units during the first year, but this will rise to between 4,000 and 6,000 for the 2014 model year. The first customers should get their cars during January 2013.
The V60 Plug-in has two complete drive-trains working in tandem - the diesel engine drives the front wheels and the electric motor powers the rear - and it's capable of travelling up to 32 km in electric-only mode using its 11.2 kWh battery.
The first plug-in hybrids, such as the plug-in version of the Toyota Prius, are already on the market, and Peugeot and Citroen offer diesel hybrids, but Volvo is the first manufacturer to combine these technologies in a production car.
As well as opening up an interesting new niche, the V60 Plug-in Hybrid, developed in cooperation with Swedish power utility Vattenfall, is an important demonstration of Volvo's engineering expertise now it is no longer able to draw on the resources of its former parent Ford.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
The 10 Best sports sunglasses
Apps: A poke in the eye for social-network friends
Viral video straps colt .45 handgun to a home-use drone
Bollywood star, Shahrukh Khan, accused of choosing sex of baby
'Deeply disturbing and appalling': NHS watchdog covered-up scandal at University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust where eight babies died of neglect
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£600 - £750 per day: Orgtel: FATCA Project Manager - Banking - London - £600-...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're an ambi...
£43000 - £50000 per annum + £5K Car Allowance + Bens : May & Stephens Recrui...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're...