Revealed: the best engines of 2011
Wednesday 08 December 2010
Influential US automotive magazine Ward's has named its best ten engines of 2011, placing electric motors on the list for the first time.
The list is one of only a handful of engine rankings and traditionally sees engines from new US, German and Japanese models battle it out for places.
Both the Nissan Leaf and the Chevrolet Volt earned a place on the 2011 list, with Ward's editors judging them among the top ten of 38 vehicles that were evaluated.
Ward's Drew Winter described the 2011 list as "the most diverse mix we've ever had, as well as the most technologically advanced."
The 17th edition included only two engines from last year's list (the Audi S4's 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 and the Volkswagen Jetta's 2.0L DOHC i-4 Turbodiesel), meaning that eight were new or heavily modified, the largest turnover in the history of the ratings.
To be eligible, the engines had to be fitted to US-specification vehicles, on sale no later than first quarter 2011 and priced no more than $55,000 (€41,600).
German automakers accounted for four of the engines, US automakers three and Korea, Japan and Sweden one.
This year's winners and the applications tested:
* 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S4)
* 3.0L N55 Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (BMW 335i)
* 1.6L Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Mini Cooper S)
* 3.6L Pentastar DOHC V-6 (Dodge Avenger)
* 5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang GT)
* 1.4L DOHC I-4/111kW Drive Motor (Chevrolet Volt)
* 5.0L Tau DOHC V-8 (Hyundai Genesis)
* 80kW AC Synchronous Electric Motor (Nissan Leaf)
* 2.0L DOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Volkswagen Jetta TDI)
* 3.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (Volvo S60)
Data from Ward's http://wardsauto.com
Life & Style blogs
Looking past the search results: Google 2.0 will 'build airports and cities' says report
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
Surviving cancer: They were expected to die - yet these childhood-cancer patients knew nothing of their diagnosis
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
- 5 New Tricks: Dennis Waterman to leave the show after a decade of crime-solving
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...