Revealed: the best engines of 2011
Wednesday 08 December 2010
Influential US automotive magazine Ward's has named its best ten engines of 2011, placing electric motors on the list for the first time.
The list is one of only a handful of engine rankings and traditionally sees engines from new US, German and Japanese models battle it out for places.
Both the Nissan Leaf and the Chevrolet Volt earned a place on the 2011 list, with Ward's editors judging them among the top ten of 38 vehicles that were evaluated.
Ward's Drew Winter described the 2011 list as "the most diverse mix we've ever had, as well as the most technologically advanced."
The 17th edition included only two engines from last year's list (the Audi S4's 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 and the Volkswagen Jetta's 2.0L DOHC i-4 Turbodiesel), meaning that eight were new or heavily modified, the largest turnover in the history of the ratings.
To be eligible, the engines had to be fitted to US-specification vehicles, on sale no later than first quarter 2011 and priced no more than $55,000 (€41,600).
German automakers accounted for four of the engines, US automakers three and Korea, Japan and Sweden one.
This year's winners and the applications tested:
* 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S4)
* 3.0L N55 Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (BMW 335i)
* 1.6L Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Mini Cooper S)
* 3.6L Pentastar DOHC V-6 (Dodge Avenger)
* 5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang GT)
* 1.4L DOHC I-4/111kW Drive Motor (Chevrolet Volt)
* 5.0L Tau DOHC V-8 (Hyundai Genesis)
* 80kW AC Synchronous Electric Motor (Nissan Leaf)
* 2.0L DOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Volkswagen Jetta TDI)
* 3.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (Volvo S60)
Data from Ward's http://wardsauto.com
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Life & Style blogs
Exclusive: Young people ‘want UK to stay in Europe’: Four in 10 adults aged 18 to 24 are ‘firmly in favour’ of membership, poll shows
Tom Daley ‘is gay because his father died’ says UK evangelist
Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
Kiss and yell: Italian protester charged with sexual assault after kissing riot police officer
PM denies two child limit for benefits is part of Tory welfare policy
Anachronistic and iniquitous, grammar schools are a blot on the British education system
- 1 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 5 Burglar steals video tapes of child abuse, hands them into police
£50000 - £75000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Project Manage...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Year 5 Teacher - Gilli...
£60000 - £90000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£52000 per annum + Fantastic Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Audit Supervisor...