Revealed: the best engines of 2011
Wednesday 08 December 2010
Influential US automotive magazine Ward's has named its best ten engines of 2011, placing electric motors on the list for the first time.
The list is one of only a handful of engine rankings and traditionally sees engines from new US, German and Japanese models battle it out for places.
Both the Nissan Leaf and the Chevrolet Volt earned a place on the 2011 list, with Ward's editors judging them among the top ten of 38 vehicles that were evaluated.
Ward's Drew Winter described the 2011 list as "the most diverse mix we've ever had, as well as the most technologically advanced."
The 17th edition included only two engines from last year's list (the Audi S4's 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 and the Volkswagen Jetta's 2.0L DOHC i-4 Turbodiesel), meaning that eight were new or heavily modified, the largest turnover in the history of the ratings.
To be eligible, the engines had to be fitted to US-specification vehicles, on sale no later than first quarter 2011 and priced no more than $55,000 (€41,600).
German automakers accounted for four of the engines, US automakers three and Korea, Japan and Sweden one.
This year's winners and the applications tested:
* 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S4)
* 3.0L N55 Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (BMW 335i)
* 1.6L Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Mini Cooper S)
* 3.6L Pentastar DOHC V-6 (Dodge Avenger)
* 5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang GT)
* 1.4L DOHC I-4/111kW Drive Motor (Chevrolet Volt)
* 5.0L Tau DOHC V-8 (Hyundai Genesis)
* 80kW AC Synchronous Electric Motor (Nissan Leaf)
* 2.0L DOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Volkswagen Jetta TDI)
* 3.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (Volvo S60)
Data from Ward's http://wardsauto.com
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Is it the end of the road for three-point turn in driving test?
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Black Friday: best UK tech deals on iPads, Macs, PS4 and more
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 1 Hollywood actor Mickey Rourke beats opponent 33 years his junior in exhibition boxing match
- 2 Exodus Gods and Kings casting controversy: Ridley Scott would never cast 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 3 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 4 Today was a bad day for renters, landlords, and democracy
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
£30k - 38k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: An award-winning consume...
£40k - 45k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: A fantastic opportunity ...
£30k - 35k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: We’re currently re...
£35k - 45k per year + benefits: Opilio Recruitment: A fantastic opportunity ...