Pop Albums: The Spice Girls Spiceworld (Virgin CDV 2850)
Instead, it's a perky but charmless parade of pop pastiches, from the opening pseudo-salsa of "Spice Up Your Life" and the pseudo-Motown stomp of "Stop" through to the lifeless flamenco stylings of "Viva Forever" and a closing big-band debacle, "The Lady is a Vamp", which they're probably already regretting. Something for all the family, in other words, so long as none of the family prefers rock (indie or otherwise), rave or rap, or anything marginally taxing. Their Spiceworld, it seems, is one from which those fringes have been ruthlessly eliminated, and along with them any faint glimmer of musical interest The Spice Girls may once have borne.
What makes this all the sadder, though, is that this process has not been imposed in the usual manner by faceless management demons, but - judging by their co-composer credits - is one in which The Spice Girls themselves have fully colluded: a rare case of a turkey voting for Christmas, or the Christmas market, at least.
Life & Style blogs
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...