QUIZ OF THE WEEK
Sunday 17 May 1998
1. How was a television broadcast with 13 repeats voted the best of its type?
2. How were 26 feet of potential embarrassment partially covered in blue?
3. ... and where did Alan Shearer's shirt appear, blown up to 29ft x 17ft in size?
4. The Eurovision Song Contest aside, what other first was achieved last week with the aid of hormones and an artificial vagina?
5. In Madrid, Christina Sanchez became the first woman in her profession to receive a doctorate. What is the profession?
6. How did Sardinia move England ahead of Germany in 45 seconds?
7. What is grotesque about the Dean of Chichester, though he says he cannot see it himself?
8. Who was delighted to pay pounds 1,500 for a school bus going from Kent to Sheffield?
9. Who was not as annoyed by an oriental leg adornment as he was reported to have been?
10. Which Body has had its head replaced by the top of French yogurt?
11. How did armpits and aftershave add to sexual allure in Brooklyn?
12. Why is the mayor of Ashburton in trouble with his party leader?
Picture question: England manager Glenn Hoddle said Paul Gascoigne could carry on smoking. 1. Jeremy Paxman won the Royal Television Society Interview of the Year award for asking Michael Howard the same question 14 times. 2. The 180-ft Cerne Abbas giant was dressed in a pair of jeans, covering part of his 26ft phallus. 3. On the Angel of the North statue in Newcastle. 4. The first koala to be conceived by artificial insemination was born in Brisbane. The female's ovulation was induced with hormones; the male semen was collected using an artificial vagina. 5. Bullfighter 6. Gianfranco Zola's winning goal for Chelsea against Stuttgart in the Uefa Cup Final came 45 seconds after he came on as a substitute. 7. A gargoyle on Chichester Cathedral was inspired by the Very Rev John Treadgold's face. 8. Schoolboy bus enthusiast Ian Frith bought the bus that used to take him to school after tracking it down to a Kent scrapyard. 9. Prince Philip denied reports that he had objected to the nomination of Emperor Akihito as a member of the Order of the Garter. 10. Anita Roddick has stepped down as Chief Executive of the Body Shop and has been replaced by Patrick Gournay from Danone. 11. Researchers at Brooklyn College, New York, found that adding Athena Pheromone 10X (derived from substances secreted by men's armpits) to a man's aftershave resulted in the wearer experiencing "significantly more sexual episodes". 12. The mayor, Alan Hope, is deputy leader of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party, whose leader Screaming Lord Sutch says they may have to fling him out for being too successful.
Life & Style blogs
Artificial intelligence will become strong and threaten us, says Bill Gates
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
British Breakfast Awards 2015: London restaurant wins prize for inventive take on the Full English
Eight-year-old girl Camilla Lisant suggests possible cure for cancer to her scientist father
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
£40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A reputable organisation within the leisure i...
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: I am currently working in partnersh...
£96000 - £200000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Looking for a better earning p...
£32000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A rapidly expanding company in ...