The best (and worst) of Instagram in 2013
Justin Bieber tops Instagram and Kim Kardashian sets a new social trend
Linda Sharkey has been an online journalist at The Independent since 2011. She is involved in different areas across the website and is currently the editor of our latest tool, Independent Plus. As the fashionista of the team, she looks after our Fashion section. Linda also shares her style on her pesonal blog www.fashioninsideout.co.uk
Saturday 14 December 2013
This year Instagram followed Facebook's path of success, growing from strength to strength by launching new tools, such as videos, and capturing over 152 million users who upload an average total of 65 million photos every day.
At the time, users called the new policy a “suicide note” thinking it would be the end for the app that was bought by Facebook for $1bn (£614m). However, the world’s need-to-share personal photos and the so called “selfie” - named the word of 2013 by Oxford Dictionary- didn’t stop the app’s growth.
The app has sparked social trends and given the public unprecedented access to their big heroes, celebrities and even preferred politicians. Instagram has brought us selfies, belfies, healthies, #tbt and many more social trends.
This week the app launched Instagram Direct, letting users share photos and videos with a select group of up to 15 friends. Following this announcement, the platform will be even busier in 2014 as Facebook has plans for the photo-sharing app to compete with Snapchat and its 400 million daily “snaps”.
See below the most popular posts and hashtags of the year:
1. Most liked photo on Instragram: Justin Bieber’s “Me and Uncle Will”
Instagram couldn’t escape from the Bieber Fever. The young pop star has over 12 million followers and his photo with Fresh Price Of Bel-Air’s Will Smith was ranked the top image of the year, which received almost 1.5million likes.
2. The most popular hashtag of 2013: #Love
Hashtags have become ubiquitous in the social media. After Twitter’s hashtag madness, Instagram followed. This year more than 371 million posts on its platform include #love. Other top hashtags include #tbt (throw back Thursday), #girl, #friends, #food and #summer.
3. Top Instagram City: New York City, USA
The California-based service is more popular in New York than in Los Angeles (geotagged top 3). The top cities worldwide that follow are Bangkok, Los Angeles, London, Sao Paulo, Moscow, Rio de Janeiro, San Diego, Las Vegas and San Francisco.
4. Record usage day: Thanksgivukkah
For the first time in more than 100 years Thanksgiving and Hanukkah celebrations overlapped. Instagram users posted photos and videos on 28 November more than any other day in the platform’s history.
5. The new (and least favourite) Instagram trend: #Belfie
The picture of Kim Kardashian wearing a sexy white swimsuit and posing her bum to her camera went viral across the world and was the motif for the creation of one of the top hashtags of the year #Belfie (bum selfie). The future Mrs West is also known for her voluptuous silhouette.
6. Top British Instagrammer: Cara Delevigne: The supermodel has taken over the catwalks across the globe, and most recently she was seen walking the runway with the Victoria’s Secret Angels. The supermodel shares her life and travels on Instagram. She posts her new tattoos, her friendships with “wifey” Rita Ora, photos snogging Sienna Miller, wearing animal onesies, backstage insights and plenty of pictures of her tongue. All these have gained Delevingne over 2.9million followers. She knows that the Instagram masses are looking for.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Geeks who rocked the world: Documentary looks back at origins of the computer-games industry
Ukip's official health spokesperson: 'Honestly, I have no experience in health whatsoever'
Deliberately urinating before sex can increase risk of urinary tract infections
Doctors to trial 29-point checklist for elderly patients facing 'unavoidable' death
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 Syrian refugee child beaten by Istanbul Burger King manager for eating customer’s leftover food
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: OXFORD - REGIONAL FIRM - An excellent opportu...
Super Package: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - SENIOR CLINICAL NEGLIGENCE - An outstan...
£15000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Fantastic opportunities are ava...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Compute Engineer is required to join a globa...