The evidence: The barrister's desk
Saturday 03 October 1998
"When you first become a tenant in chambers, you have to buy your own desk (1). I found this for pounds 150, which was a bit of a bargain. You get a wig box (2) when you graduate, I've had mine for nine years. I tend to do all my typing at home on my computer, so the typewriter (3) is just for letters and urgent things. The pink ribbon on the briefs (4) means it's a defence case, white means it's prosecution. I hope the names aren't legible or I'll be getting calls from offenders' mothers. The book (5) is Ernest Hemingway's To Have and Have Not, which I found on my Dad's bookshelves. The letter (6) is to someone applying to chambers, it's really difficult at the moment, there are more people wanting to enter the profession than there are practising barristers. As for the tidy-desk, tidy-mind thing, I don't believe a tidy mind allows any lateral thinking. It's not usually this tidy." Interview by Aoife O'Riordain
Photograph by Adrian Fisk
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
food + drinkHow one grocery e-tailer is gearing up for the Yuletide rush
food + drink
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
£80000 - £100000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior C++ De...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...
£23999 - £32001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: An independent ac...