Baltic Exchange finds new home: Shipping market swaps buildings with Trafalgar House
Monday 12 September 1994
Under a deal with Trafalgar House, the property and shipping group, the exchange, which was founded in 1744 and has about 1,500 members representing 600 companies, is to move to a building in the same street, St Mary Axe.
The new building, at 41,000 sq ft, is substantially smaller than the old one,but the exchange will pay a further pounds 2.75m cash to Trafalgar, which will bear the cost of redeveloping the bombed site while preserving the original building's features.
The new building, which will be ready for occupation next spring, was designed by Sir Edwin Cooper in 1925 for Inchcape, the trading group, itself a member of the Baltic Exchange.
Jim Buckley, the exchange's chief executive, said the new building's smaller size was appropriate as modern technology obviated the need for a trading floor that could hold 1,000 people at once.
Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Ryanair calls on CAA to act over air traffic chaos caused by telephone system glitch
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£80000 - £100000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Project Manag...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...